Friday, May 29, 2015

Into the Woods

Every once and a while, I get the urge for creative writing. It has been a super long time and am not sure as to what inspired my latest. While they may seem dark at times, I find joy in writing and expressing the obsurdness of my mind. I hope you enjoy! Into the Woods: I am not sure for how long I have been walking and sadly realize that I am not sure when or why I even started walking in the first place but I see clearly the woods around me. I hear the leaves crunching below my steps. I feel the warm sun and cool breeze on my face. I am not sure where I am going and even less an idea as to where I am but I keep walking. I feel strangely calm as I walk. I am at peace as if this is where I belong. While I recognize nothing along my path, I am mesmerized by the beauty and quiet of the woods. I have longed for this solitude, for this peace, for this journey. I see that the sun has begun its slow decent into the West and I smile. I just keep walking…. The sun has gone and with it the warmth I once felt on my face. A chill begins to work its way into my bones. The sound of the leaves below my feet becomes more distinct in the quiet of the night. The moon offers some light but no warmth or comfort. I continue this journey that I have begun not knowing why. I do not feel tired. I do not feel afraid. I feel cold. I feel numb. I just keep walking… My steps become slower and heavy. Occasionally, I stumble. Nevertheless, I continue placing one foot in front of the other and continue walking. Again, I am mesmerized by what my eyes see. The once vibrantly lit woods has become but shadows. Though I am not tired, I sit. The cold wraps itself around me and I slowly lay my head down. I no longer hear the leaves under my feet and the woods have swallowed every sound. It is utterly quiet in the still of this night. I close my eyes and fall into a deep sleep. I just keep sleeping… The dawn begins to break yet my body does not stir. I just keep sleeping. The sun breaks forth from the canopy of the woods but my flesh does not feel its warmth. I remain cold and still. The birds begin their morning song. The woodland creatures scurry about. Life has awakened in the woods all around me yet I lie completely still. I just keep sleeping… I have found complete rest in these woods. I just keep sleeping….

No comments: